Dr. Thomas was born in Lincoln, Nebraska. He graduated high school in 1975 in Dallas, Texas, and graduated as a Registered Nurse in 1980 in Gainesville, Florida. He worked as a critical care nurse in intensive care units and emergency rooms for over a decade. Dr. Thomas graduated with Research Honors from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1990. He served a one-year internship with Dr. Keith Denton in Monroe, Michigan. For over fifty years, the Monroe clinic has been the center of research and development for the NUCCA technique. In 2012 Dr. Thomas helped found Quantum Spinal Mechanics, a progressive upper cervical technique that now uses a tensegral approach to realign the entire body with the most sophisticated data now available. .
Dr. Thomas was married for 23 years to Bonnie Jean Holland Thomas until she passed away in 2005. They had one so, John, in 1989. In 2009, Dr. Thomas married Alexis Paige Garland (now Thomas!) 2015 brought the birth of their son, Samuel. . They are deliriously happy and spend their time running after their active toddler!
Thomas Chiropractic Care
10252 S. Hwy 441 Suite 1
Belleview, Florida 34420-0748
Licensure currently held:
Doctor of Chiropractic
Florida # CH0006840
Oklahoma # 2588 (Inactive)
Florida # 1192632 (Inactive)
November 1994 – Present
Thomas Chiropractic Care
March 1993 – October 1994 Staff R.N., Marion Community Hospital, Cardiovascular
Intensive Care Unit
August 1991 – March 1993 Travel R.N. (CCRN) Various Assignments
November 1990 – August 1991 NUCCA Chiropractic Internship with Dr. Keith Denton
1980-1987 Registered Nurse working in various
Intensive Care Units and Emergency
July 1987 – October 1990 Palmer College of Chiropractic
Doctor of Chiropractic degree
Conferred October 1990 with Research Honors
Bachelor of Science degree in General Science with minor in
Psychology, conferred Oct. 1990
1985-1986 Course Study at Florida State University. Tallahassee, Florida
May 1978 – May 1982 Santa Fe Community College
Associate of Science in Nursing 1980
Associate of Arts 1982
1976-1977 Course study at University of Florida
1973-1975 Warren Travis White High School
High School Degree, Spring 1975
- Quantum Spinal Mechanics co-founder. Member since 2012.
- National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research Association (now Upper Cervical Research Foundation), Board Member 2000-2012.
- Associate Editor, The Upper Cervical Monograph. 1991- 2012.
- Editor, NUCCA News. 1998 – 2000.
- Member, National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association. 1987 – present.
- Founding Member, Academy of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Organizations. 1994 – present.
- Member, The Society of Chiropractic Orthospinology, 2001 – present.
- Member, National Center for Homeopathy, 1981 – present.
- Adviser for the Massage Therapy Program, Marion County Distributive Education Program, Ocala, Florida, 2001-2007.
- NUCCA Protocols and Perspectives: a textbook for the National Upper Cervical Chiropractic Association. First Edition. National Upper Cervical Research Association 2002. (Editor and multiple chapter author).
- Reviewer for:
Upper Cervical Subluxation Complex: a review of the chiropractic and medical literature. Kirk Eriksen. Lipincott Williams & Wilkins. 2004.
- Thomas, MD. Leg length inequality in the chiropractic and medical literature. Upper Cervical Monograph, 1991; 5(2):12-16.
- Thomas MD. Radiology case report. Upper Cervical Monograph, 1991; 5(2):20.
- Thomas, MD, Wood J. Upper cervical adjustments may improve mental function. J Man Med, 1992; 6:215-216.
- Thomas, MD. Upper cervical unity. Upper Cervical Monograph, May 1995; 5(5):27.
- Thomas, MD. Editorial comment-the adjustment is a gift. Upper Cervical Monograph, Oct. 1995; 5(6):3-4.
- Thomas, MD. Some implications regarding tensegrity and the upper cervical adjustment. Upper Cervical Monograph, May 2001; 6(3):8-13.
- Thomas, MD. Practical shooting: beyond fundamentals: book review. Upper Cervical Monograph, May 2001; 6(3):30-32.
- Thomas, MD. Report on session 1 of the upper cervical diplomate program. Atlanta, Georgia; September 8&9, 2001, Module. Upper Cervical Monograph, 2002; 6(4):23-4.
- Thomas, MD. Report on session 2 of the upper cervical diplomate program held in conjunction with the ninth annual vertebral subluxation research conference, Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic (Spartanburg, South Carolina) October 13 & 14, 2001. Upper Cervical Monograph, 2002; 6(4):24-5.
Thomas, MD, Scholten JN. A shift in the prevailing winds. Upper Cervical Monograph, Sep 2004; 6(5):3-12, 51.
Thomas, MD. “A Brief Look at Biedermann et al., and the “Kiss” Syndrome.” Upper Cervical Monograph, Sep 2009; 7(2):23-27.
Thomas, MD. “The Things We Can’t Measure: a clincial look at the phenomenology of posture”. The Upper Cervical Monograph, preprint, November 2010. (8pp. placed on UCRF website and in The Monograph archives.)
My chiropractic practice directly addresses abnormal tone (tension) in the body. By removing interference caused by misalignment of structures in the upper neck, normal tone (tension) is re-established.
Most people can easily see how upper cervical chiropractic can help headaches, dizziness and neck troubles. At the same time, I address all the many problems that all chiropractors attempt to treat including low back pain, sciatica, pain and numbness in the arms and legs, trouble walking, hip, knee and ankle problems.
In addition, upper cervical chiropractic has shown to be effective in areas that many people would not think of such as high blood pressure, digestive problems, asthma, and emotional depression.
We all want to be healthy. We usually want to get healthier, regain our health or at least maintain the health we have. So how do we improve our health? Most of us know that our diet is important. We need to stay active and get exercise. We need to get enough sleep. Many people meditate or pray to become calm and centered. Sometimes this is not enough. We may have problems that won’t go away no matter how hard we work to become balanced. This is often because our bodies themselves are unbalanced.
The basic idea in chiropractic is that our structure affects our function. Our bones help maintain our shape but it is the tension (tone) in our bodies that allows us to function. When the tone of the body is compromised, our bodies get twisted and pinched. The one constant that we all must deal with is gravity. When our tone is symmetrical (even) then we can easily stand up against gravity. Our hips are level and untwisted. Our shoulders are level. Our heads are on straight and we begin our movements from a place of ease.
Accidents and injuries can stretch and tear the soft tissues that maintain our structure. When this happens in the upper neck region it can cause a misalignment of the bony structures resulting in uneven tone (tension) in the whole body.
Commonly, one leg will appear shorter. This is because when muscles tighten, they shorten. When we stand, our pelvis becomes tilted and our upper body must twist and lean to keep us as centered as possible. We no longer stand against gravity in a posture of ease, but rather one of dis-ease.
We must constantly adapt and compensate for this uneven body tone. This makes our bodies work harder and struggle to carry out normal activities. Joints are made to function from a normal position and when they must work from a twisted place, they wear out sooner and become inflamed. Every organ system in the body is compromised by the uneven tone that distorts our body posture. Left uncorrected, this progressive degeneration leads to arthritis and disc problems in the bones and joints and innumerable problems in the other organ systems.
NUCCA chiropractic care addresses so many important problems it is difficult to list them all! It has been the best kept healthcare secret in the world for far too long. If you want to avoid drugs and surgery, NUCCA chiropractic care offers a real alternative that is effective for many problems that cannot be solved with other methods, -it is gentle (no twisting or thrusting) and has offered safe care to thousands for several decades. Come in to the office for a consultation. If this care is right for you, you can be our next success! We love to celebrate when our clients get better and start to live the lives they are meant to have!